Reasonable Accomodations & ModificationsUpdated September 17, 2013
Fair Housing laws require that reasonable accommodations in rules, regulations, policies and procedures be made for disabled applicants, residents or their guests. In addition, reasonable physical modifications may not be denied to these individuals. Tamarack Property Management Co. (“Tamarack”) is firmly committed to complying with these requirements.
How to Request a Reasonable Accomodation or Modification:
- To ensure that we understand exactly what is being requested, we ask that the individual requesting the accommodation or modification make their request in writing by completing a separate Request for a Reasonable Accommodation or Request for a Reasonable Modification form for each requested accommodation / modification. These forms are available in the site office, or by calling Tamarack at the number listed below. If the individual needing the accommodation or modification is unable to complete the request(s) in writing, they may authorize a staff member or a third party to complete the form on their behalf.
- In order to verify the accommodation or modification is necessary based on the individual’s disability, a verification form will be sent to a third party identified by the individual making the request. The third party verifier may be a doctor, medical professional, peer support group, non-medical service agency or a reliable third party who is in a position to know about the individual’s disability. The verification form also asks the verifier to identify the necessary accommodation / modification, the expected duration of the disability, the major life activities that are limited by the disability and how the accommodation / modification will offset the limitations of the referenced major life activities.
Processing the Request:
- Once the request(s) is signed and submitted, the on-site staff will forward the request(s) and third party verification to the identified third party for verification.
- If the third party verification is not returned in a reasonable period of time, we will attempt to notify the requesting individual so that he or she may contact their third party verifier or select another one. If we are unable to verify the request after making several attempts, we may deny the request.
- If the third party verification is not complete or if it is not clear, it may be necessary to follow up with the identified third party verifier and/or the requesting individual. Our efforts to clarify the request will be documented and the requesting individual may contact us for the status of their request at any time during the process.
- When the completed verification form is returned, the request(s) for the reasonable accommodation / modification and the third party verification form will be submitted electronically to Tamarack’s Vice President of Operations for approval or denial.
- When considering the request, the Vice President of Operations will confirm the third party verification supports the request, and will take into consideration the property’s ability to fund the request, the administrative burden and physical feasibility. If property funding is not required (Conventional or Tax Credits), or if it would pose a financial burden to the property to provide the request, the requesting individual or another source may pay for the reasonable accommodation / modification. Residents in Conventional or Tax Credit sites not subject to Section 504 requirements may be required to remove a modification at the end of tenancy at the individual’s/source’s expense.
- The Vice President of Operations will approve or deny the request electronically and will mail a response to the requesting individual within five (5) days after receiving the completed verification form and request. Note: if this timeframe cannot be met for any reason, the individual making the request will be contacted.
- We will do everything in our power to return a decision to the requesting party within ten (10) days of the initial request. However, delays in receiving the third party verification may prohibit us from meeting this timeframe. If a response is not received within this ten (10) day timeframe, the requesting party may contact the Site Manager or the Vice President of Operations to determine the status of their request.
- If the request is approved, the Site Manager will read the decision, contact the requesting party regarding the approval, and make the preparations necessary to provide the accommodation or modification.
- If a request is denied, the Site Manager will read the decision and contact the requesting party regarding the denial.
- If the requesting individual does not agree with the decision made by the Vice President of Operations, they have 10 days to appeal the decision by writing to Tamarack’s 504 Coordinator. If the individual making the appeal is unable to submit the appeal in writing, they may authorize a staff member or a third party to complete the appeal on their behalf.
- Tamarack’s 504 Coordinator will evaluate the request and make a final decision to approve or deny the request. This final response will be returned to the applicant/ resident within 10 days of receipt of the appeal letter.
- If the requesting individual does not agree with the decision made by the 504 Coordinator, they may request a meeting to discuss the denial with either the 504 Coordinator or the Director of Operations and another corporate staff member or the property Owner by sending a written request to the 504 Coordinator. If the individual requesting the meeting is unable to submit a written request, they may authorize a staff member or third party to make the request on their behalf.
- This meeting may be held in person or via telephone at Tamarack’s discretion.
- Once the meeting has been held, a final letter will be sent to the requesting individual, indicating the decision supported by the Principals of Tamarack and the property.
Tamarack Contact Information:
504 Coordinator Jeryl Schneider Address Tamarack Property Management Co.
2929 3rd Avenue North, Suite 538
Billings, MT 59101-1944 Telephone / Fax Numbers
(406) 252-3773 (tel)
(406) 252-9512 (fax)
State Fair Housing Contacts:
Montana Fair Housing 519 East Front Street
Butte, MT 59701
(800) 929-2611 Wyoming Fair Housing 305 West 1st Street
Casper, WY 82601
(866) 255-6362 (Utah) Industrial Commission, Anti-Discrimination Division 160 East 300 South
Salt Lake City, UT 84114